Objectives: To enable parents to attend conferences and other research schools, meetings or visits by making a supplementary contribution towards childcare costs
Eligibility: Any mathematician in the UK is eligible to apply for a grant. If the applicant is not a member then the application must be countersigned by an LMS member.
- Candidates should first approach the institution or event (conference, school, research visit) organisers to see if any arrangements for funding childcare costs are in place, and contact other bodies for support, before applying for the LMS grants. It is the LMS view that institutions should make provision for childcare costs but, while this is not largely the case, the Society is willing to make a supplementary grant as a contribution to the costs.
- Confirmation of participation and the extra reasonable costs associated with childcare that will be incurred is required before payment of the grant can be made.
- Applications are considered by the London Mathematical Society's Women in Mathematics Committee in three rounds per year. Deadline dates are indicated below.
- Grants will not normally be made retrospectively. In exceptional circumstances, retrospective applications may be considered.
- The Committee will not normally fund more than one grant per family per conference.
- The Committee will not normally award more than one grant per person per year.
- Each case will be considered on its individual merits.
- A report will be required after the conference or meeting has taken place.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not already received support for childcare costs from other sources.
- Priority will be given to early career applicants.
Value of award: The maximum award is £200.
The next deadline is:
15 September 2015
Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application shortly after the deadline dates.
Queries regarding applications can be addressed to the Grants Administrator who will be pleased to discuss proposals informally with potential applicants and give advice on the submission of an application.
Grant Administrator: Katy Henderson (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 020 7927 0809).
- Childcare Supplementary Grant Application Form (Word)
- Childcare Supplementary Grant Application Form (PDF)
HMRC provides information and guidance for both employers and employees about tax contributions on employer-supported childcare. This can be found on the HMRC website
HMRC's tax guide for Expenses and Benefits can be found here with guidance with regards to 'work related training' on page 22. Further HMRC guidance can be found here, and information about childcare costs incurred during such training can be found here. The University of Warwick's Equality and Diversity website contains information on its Conference Support Awards scheme and some information about this scheme in relation to Work Related Training which may be of use to other institutions.
Please note that the Society is unable to provide advice on any tax-related issues regarding childcare. Please contact HMRC directly.
Submitted by Katy Henderson on