AIMS OF THE LMS MSDIRECTORY
1. The LMS MSDirectory provides a central, online resource about mathematical scientists in the UK.
The main aims of the LMS MSDirectory are:
- To facilitate STEM networking across the UK mathematical sciences community.
- To facilitate STEM collaborative research between the mathematical sciences and other academic disciplines.
- To act as a central resource for current and potential internal and external partners to identify and make contact with UK mathematicians.
- To be recognised and valued as the identified ‘home’ of the community for all mathematical scientists from undergraduate level onwards, in all academic and employment sectors, throughout the entirety of their career.
- To enable anonymised data gathering for analysis on matters with respect to the UK mathematical sciences people pipeline. Such data analysis would be used to prepare evidence-based reports to support the ongoing case for more appropriate levels of funding for mathematical sciences research and education. Such reports would be used in representing the mathematical sciences to national policymakers, funders, and other influential bodies with an interest in the mathematical sciences.
- To facilitate and develop engagement between mathematical sciences undergraduate, postgraduate and early career researcher communities.
WHO “WE”, “MEMBERS” AND “USERS” ARE
2. In these Guidelines, “we”, “us” and “our” refer to the London Mathematical Society (LMS), De Morgan House, 57-58 Russell Square, London WC1B 4HS, UK.
“You” refers to a “member” or “user” of the LMS MSDirectory.
“Member” refers to an individual with a personal profile in the LMS MSDirectory. Members of the LMS MSDirectory may also be members of the London Mathematical Society but need not be.
If you have any questions about these Guidelines, you may contact us by telephoning +44 207 637 3686 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF THE LMS MSDIRECTORY
3. The purpose of the LMS MSDirectory is to facilitate communication between academic and postgraduate mathematical scientists and between them and others in industry, education, commerce and enterprise. It is designed to provide academics and professionals with a resource to locate experts and interested parties in any field for the advancement of mathematics and mathematicians. The detailed purposes can be found in the section “Aims of the LMS MSDirectory”.
USES OF THE LMS MSDIRECTORY
4. To safeguard the operation of the LMS MSDirectory, the LMS have adopted the following:
Information available through the LMS MSDirectory may be used only for the purposes stated.
LMS MSDirectory members and users are expected to exhibit the same level of respect for others in this forum as in any other LMS context.
LMS MSDirectory members are asked to keep their details up to date and to review their entries and privacy settings regularly. The LMS will send annual reminders to LMS MSDirectory members to review their details.
5. Use of the LMS MSDirectory for any commercial, public or political mailing is strictly prohibited.
Prohibited uses of the information include but are not limited to:
- Advertising and solicitations for commercial services.
- Cold-calling of any kind or mass-mailings (often known as “spamming”).
- Activities that are illegal or fraudulent.
- Uses that inaccurately imply endorsement, approval or sponsorship by the London Mathematical Society, its members or its staff.
- Uses that can be confused with official communications of the LMS, its members or its staff.
- Mailings of any kind using a false identification.
- Activities that violate the stated uses of the LMS MSDirectory.
- Postings of obscene materials or use of obscene or vulgar language of any kind, as defined by the LMS, hate speech or harassment, or use of abusive or threatening language of any kind, will constitute a violation of the Terms governing the use of the LMS MSDirectory.
- Creation of profane, fraudulent, or obscene aliases.
WHAT DOES ‘ANONYMISED DATA ANALYSIS’ MEAN?
6. ‘Anonymised’ means that data may be gathered from individual LMS MSDirectory Member Profiles and combined with data from a cross section of other Member Profiles to provide evidence on a particular aspect of the Mathematical Sciences People Pipeline. Such evidence would be used to represent mathematical sciences to national policy makers. There would be no way of linking back this aggregated data to individual LMS MSDirectory Profiles, therefore LMS MSDirectory members would always remain anonymous in such exercises.
7. In 2015, the Council for Mathematical Sciences (CMS) published a report entitled, The Mathematical Sciences People Pipeline. This paints a general picture, but it does not provide detailed destination information for mathematical sciences graduates due to methodology and a lack of granularity. It is hoped that, as more mathematical scientists join and remain on the MSDirectory throughout their careers, the data held on the MSDirectory will provide a rich resource for future analyses. For example, a detailed picture of the actual demand from employment sectors for mathematical sciences graduates could be obtained.
8. Even if an individual LMS MSDirectory member decides not to make their details public on the LMS MSDirectory, it would be beneficial for the purposes of such anonymised data analysis if they would remain on the LMS MSDirectory and update their details regularly, though these would not be publicly viewable.
WHO IS CURRENTLY LISTED ON THE LMS MSDIRECTORY?
9. The LMS MSDirectory has been pre-populated with the names of approximately 5,000 mathematical scientists who were in UK academia, as of 31 March 2015. This is not a complete list and anyone not on the list is invited to apply to join the LMS MSDirectory.
10. Pre-populated information held on the LMS MSDirectory was gathered from publicly available sources as of 31 March 2015. If you have received an email asking you to check your LMS MSDirectory Profile, your basic contact details will have already been entered into the LMS MSDirectory.
11. The current list of 5,000+ names in the LMS MSDirectory comprises people who have a mathematical sciences degree and who are working in one of the many disciplines that could reasonably be identified in UK higher education institutions. The majority of these names, though, are attached to a mathematics or statistics department/school/college.
12. All members of the London Mathematical Society, regardless of their employment/study status, will already have a LMS MSDirectory Profile that contains data from their LMS Member Profile.
DO I HAVE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LMS MSDIRECTORY?
13. Anyone listed on the LMS MSDirectory may opt out at any time, or choose to remain on the Directory as a private member and not have any of their data publicly viewable.
14. All data on the Directory belongs to individual LMS MSDirectory members and each member can log on to the LMS MSDirectory at any time to view and edit their LMS MSDirectory Profile. They can also choose which aspects of their Profile can be made public and which should remain hidden.
15. It is hoped that as many mathematical scientists as possible will opt to remain on the LMS MSDirectory and update their details regularly throughout their careers (even if they choose to be private members and not have any of their details publicly viewable). This will ensure that the LMS MSDirectory remains a useful and current central resource for the community and for anonymised data analysis purposes with respect to the Mathematical Sciences People Pipeline.
LMS MSDIRECTORY MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA
16. The following persons may be members of the LMS MSDirectory:
- Any person holding a mathematical sciences first degree or above (including a joint degree with another discipline) from a UK based institution.
- Any person currently working in mathematical sciences in the UK but not holding a mathematical sciences degree.
- Any person holding a mathematical sciences first degree or above (including a joint degree with another discipline) from an overseas institution and who now works or lives in the UK.
- Any person registered to study for a mathematical sciences first degree or above (including a joint degree with another discipline) at a UK-based institution. It is hoped that such students will remain on the MSDirectory once graduated.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NOW?
17. You are being asked to:
a) Check your data and complete as desired, and decide which fields should be publicly viewable.
b) Check your data and complete as desired, and decide to have none of your data made public but choose to remain on the Directory as a private member so that your data can be used in anonymised data collections (see Data Ownership section in attached document).
c) Decide to opt out of the Directory completely. (NB for LMS Members, your details will still be kept on the system to manage your LMS Membership profiles).
18. Once you are logged in you can view your profile under the “View” tab and make changes to each section by clicking the “Edit” tab and selecting “Your Profile”.
19. You will be contacted another two times to remind you to check your data on the LMS MSDirectory and whether you wish to opt out of the LMS MSDirectory before the intended Go Live date.
20. If no response is received to these emails and reminders before the GO LIVE date, it will be assumed that you are happy to be included in the LMS MSDirectory unless you tell us otherwise.
NB you can opt-out at any point.
21. Emails returned undelivered will be followed up by a hard copy letter sent in the post. If no response is received to this letter 30 days from sending then your data will be removed from the LMS MSDirectory.
WHAT IF I AM ALREADY A MEMBER OF THE LMS?
22. To review your MSDirectory profile, please log in the LMS website using your LMS Membership log in. You can also click on the MSDirectory Profile tab on the LMS website to log in. Please choose which aspects of your profile you wish to be publicly viewable for the purposes of the LMS MSDirectory. You may already have viewed your LMS Member Profile for the purposes of the 150th edition of the LMS Members Handbook but please re-check your details for the LMS MSDirectory.
WHAT IF I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE LMS?
23. To review your MSDirectory profile, please log in the LMS website. You will need to use the email address, to which the initial notification email was sent, to log in plus a password. If you do not have a password, you can use the onscreen tab “request a new password” to enter your email address and receive a one-time link to your profile, where you can set up a password. Your profile will then be displayed with various tabs for your various categories. Click on LMS MSDirectory Profile to check or edit your entries.
HOW WILL THE DATA IN THE LMS MSDIRECTORY BE MAINTAINED?
24. The value of the LMS MSDirectory will lie in the currency of the information it holds. Each year the LMS will email all LMS MSDirectory members asking them to check that their details are correct and that they are comfortable with their options for viewable fields as previously set. Changes to their entry can be made by LMS MSDirectory members at any point throughout the year but the annual reminder will occur with the aim of maintaining the overall currency of the information held in the LMS MSDirectory.
25. The LMS MSDirectory will not go live until all those currently listed have been contacted twice in addition to the initial notification email. They will be reminded to log on to the LMS MSDirectory to check their data, decide which data they wish to have in public view, or to opt out by the deadline.
PERSONAL DATA; DEFINITIONS
26. For the purposes of Data Protection the Society uses the following definitions of data:
- Personal data – data which relates to a living individual who can be identified, data with a specific association; e.g. name and email address, name and postcode.
- Sensitive data – personal data consisting of information of a private nature that could be used in a discriminatory way; e.g. the racial or ethnic origins of the individual, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership etc.
Gender is not considered to be sensitive data under the definitions contained in the Data Protection Act and so is a searchable field. However, members of the LMS MSDirectory could choose to hide this particular field if they so wished.
HOW WILL MY DATA BE PROTECTED?
HOW WILL MY DATA BE SECURED
28. The LMS has put in place all reasonable measures with regard to safeguarding the integrity of its data and preventing unauthorised access to the information it maintains. These measures include authentication, monitoring, auditing, and encryption. Security measures have been built into the design, implementation and day-to-day practices of the entire operating environment as part of the Society’s continuing commitment to risk management. These measures are designed and intended to prevent corruption of data, block unknown or unauthorized access to our systems and information, as well as provide reasonable protection of private information we possess.
29. The LMS website uses a secure server that implements secure sockets layer (SSL) technology throughout your visit to the site.
30. If you have any additional queries about security, please e-mail: email@example.com.
HOW IS THE LMS MSDIRECTORY PROTECTED AGAINST DATA MINING?
31. The LMS holds the copyright of the LMS MSDirectory and this is made clear on the website. It is also made clear on the website that any person/organisation found to be data mining the LMS MSDirectory for purposes other than those reasons for which the LMS MSDirectory has been set up, may be considered to have breached intellectual property/data protection legislation leading to prosecution and sanctions by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
32. To minimise data mining for purposes outside of approved use, the LMS MSDirectory has been structured to operate in such a way as to make it as difficult as possible to data-mine on a wholesale basis. For example, email addresses will not be listed on any full results page but rather only on an individual detail page.
WHO WILL BE ABLE TO USE THE DATA IN THE MSDIRECTORY AND WHAT CAN THEY SEARCH ON?
33. The LMS MSDirectory will be an open Directory strictly for the aims stated in the section ‘About the LMS MSDirectory’.
34. All LMS MSDirectory members can search the MSDirectory. Anyone wishing to search the LMS MSDirectory but who is not a member of the LMS MSDirectory can either apply to join the LMS MSDirectory or register as a LMS MSDirectory user. NB “User” refers to any individual who wishes to use the LMS MSDirectory to contact members of the LMS MSDirectory e.g. academics in other disciplines, and interested external organisations seeking to partner with mathematical scientists for research or any other of the stated aims. A “user” may also be a member of the LMS MSDirectory.
36. All fields listed in your LMS MSDirectory are searchable. But only the following fields will be visible on the initial search results:
- First Name
- Fields of Interest
- View Contact
37. Any third party wishing assistance to undertake a large search, which relates to one of the purposes for which the LMS MSDirectory has been set up, should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries about the LMS MSDirectory, please email email@example.com