- WHO “WE”, “MEMBERS” AND “USERS” ARE
- THE MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES DIRECTORY AND ITS PURPOSE
- AIMS OF THE LMS MSDIRECTORY
- ANONYMISED DATA COLLECTION
- USES OF THE LMS MSDIRECTORY
- PROHIBITED USES
- DATA MINING
- PENALTIES FOR IMPROPER USE
- LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY
- DISCONTINUATION OF THE LMS MSDIRECTORY
- HOW TO CONTACT US
WHO “WE”, “MEMBERS” AND “USERS” ARE
“You” refers to a “member” or “user” of the LMS MSDirectory.
“Member” refers to an individual with a personal profile in the LMS MSDirectory. Members of the MS Directory may also be members of the London Mathematical Society but need not be.
THE MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES DIRECTORY AND ITS PURPOSE
The LMS MSDirectory is a central, online resource about mathematical scientists. The LMS owns the copyright to the LMS MSDirectory, which can be found on the website of the London Mathematical Society (www.lms.ac.uk).
The purpose of the LMS MSDirectory is to facilitate communication between academic and postgraduate mathematical scientists and between them and others in industry, education,
commerce and enterprise. It is designed to provide academics and professionals with a resource to locate experts and interested parties in any field for the advancement of mathematics and mathematicians. The detailed purposes can be found in the section “Aims of the LMS MSDirectory”.
The LMS will also use the LMS MSDirectory to gather data from individual LMS MSDirectory Member Profiles and combined with data from a cross section of other Member Profiles to provide evidence on a particular aspect of the Mathematical Sciences People Pipeline.
The main aims of the LMS MSDirectory are:
- To facilitate STEM networking across the UK mathematical sciences community.
- To facilitate STEM collaborative research between the mathematical sciences and other academic disciplines.
- To act as a central resource for current and potential internal and external partners to identify and make contact with UK mathematicians.
- To be recognised and valued as the identified ‘home’ of the community for all mathematical scientists from undergraduate level onwards, in all academic and employment sectors, throughout the entirety of their career,
- To enable anonymised data gathering for analysis on matters with respect to the UK mathematical sciences people pipeline. Such data analysis would be used to prepare evidence-based reports to support the ongoing case for more appropriate levels of funding for mathematical sciences research and education. Such reports would be used in representing the mathematical sciences to national policymakers, funders, and other influential bodies with an interest in the mathematical sciences.
- To facilitate and develop engagement between mathematical sciences undergraduate, postgraduate and early career researcher communities .
- ‘Anonymised’ means that data may be gathered from individual LMS MSDirectory Member Profiles. Such evidence would be used to represent mathematical sciences to national policy makers. There would be no way of linking back this aggregated data to individual LMS MSDirectory Profiles, therefore LMS MSDirectory members would always remain anonymous in such exercises.
- In 2015, the Council for Mathematical Sciences (CMS) published a report entitled, The Mathematical Sciences People Pipeline. This paints a general picture, but it does not provide detailed destination information for mathematical sciences graduates due to methodology and a lack of granularity. It is hoped that, as more mathematical scientists join and remain on the MSDirectory throughout their careers, the data held on the MSDirectory will provide a rich resource for future analyses. For example, a detailed picture of the actual demand from employment sectors for mathematical sciences graduates could be obtained.
- Even if an individual LMS MSDirectory member decides not to make their details public on the MSDirectory, it would be beneficial for the purposes of such anonymised data analysis if they would remain on the LMS MSDirectory and update their details regularly, though these would not be publicly viewable.
- Information available through the LMS MSDirectory may be used only for the purposes stated.
- LMS MSDirectory members and users are expected to exhibit the same level of respect for others in this forum as in any other LMS context.
- LMS MSDirectory members are asked to keep their details up to date and to review their entries and privacy settings regularly. The LMS will send annual reminders to LMS MSDirectory members to review their details.
Prohibited uses of the information include but are not limited to:
- Advertising and solicitations for commercial services
- Cold-calling of any kind or mass-mailings (often known as “spamming”)
- Activities that are illegal or fraudulent
- Uses that inaccurately imply endorsement, approval or sponsorship by the London Mathematical Society, its members or its staff.
- Uses that can be confused with official communications of the LMS, its members or its staff.
- Mailings of any kind using a false identification
- Activities that violate the stated uses of the LMS MSDirectory.
- Postings of obscene materials or use of obscene or vulgar language of any kind, as defined by the LMS, hate speech or harassment, or use of abusive or threatening language of any kind, will constitute a violation of the Terms governing the use of the LMS MSDirectory.
- Creation of profane, fraudulent, or obscene aliases.
- Data mining for any of the above reasons.
The LMS holds the copyright of the LMS MSDirectory. Data mining the LMS MSDirectory for purposes other than those reasons for which the LMS MSDirectory has been set up may lead to prosecution and sanctions by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
To minimise data mining for purposes outside of approved use, the LMS MSDirectory has been instructured to operate in such a way as to make it as difficult as possible to data-mine on a wholesale basis i.e. email addresses will not be listed on any full results page but rather only on an individual detail page.
However, the LMS asks that members of the LMS MSDirectory also take responsibility for screening communications and report any abuses or misuse of the directory immediately to the LMS at firstname.lastname@example.org
PENALTIES FOR IMPROPER USE
Any person/organisation found to be using the LMS MSDirectory for purposes other than those reasons for which the Directory has been set up, may be considered to have breached intellectual property/data protection legislation, which may lead to prosecution and sanctions by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The LMS does not warrant that the LMS MSDirectory will operate error-free or that the site and its server are free of computer viruses or other harmful material. To the fullest extent permitted by law, the LMS disclaims all warranties, including the warranties of merchantability, non-infringement and fitness for particular purpose. In no event shall the LMS be liable for any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, incidental, consequential or punitive damages resulting from the use of, misuse of, or inability to use information or materials available in LMS MSDirectory.
The LMS owns the copyright for the LMS MSDirectory, in particular its concept and its design. The LMS reserves any right to reorganize, or delete any information. Any person or organisation considered to have breached the copyright, especially for commercial gain, will be prosecuted.
The LMS does not own the copyright to the personal information contained within the LMS MSDirectory. Personal information remains the property of the individual members (data owners) of the LMS MSDirectory.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Or you can write to us at: London Mathematical Society (LMS), De Morgan House, 57-58 Russell Square, London WC1B 4HS, UK
Submitted by Donald Eastwood on 28 March, 2017 17:07