The London Mathematical Society Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange are designed to provide training in Knowledge Exchange between mathematical research and users of mathematics. The Research Schools provide training for research students and post-docs in Knowledge Exchange and in the underpinning mathematics.
The LMS Research Schools take place in the UK and support participation of research students from both the UK and abroad. The speakers are expected to be international leaders with experience relevant to Knowledge Exchange. The LMS Research Schools in Knowledge Exchange are a new venture modelled on the successful series of LMS Research Schools. Applicants may like to model their application on successful applications for Research Schools in 2019. These Research Schools were:
1. PDEs in Mathematical Biology - Modelling and Analysis, ICMS, Edinburgh, 29 April - 3 May 2019.
2. Random Structures: From the Discrete to the Continuous, Bath 1-5 July 2019.
3. Mathematics of Climate, Reading, 8-12 July 2019.
4. Rigidity, Flexibility and Applications, Lancaster, 18 - 22 July 2022
Upcoming LMS Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange
No LMS Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange are due to take place in 2023.
Call for Proposals for LMS Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange in 2024 has been extended to the 1 June 2023.
The Call for Proposals for LMS Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange in 2024 has been extended to the 1 June 2023.
Call for Proposals for LMS Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange in 2025 - opens later in 2023.
The Call for Proposals for LMS Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange in 2025 will open later in 2023. The deadline will be 22 February 2024.
Grants of up to £15,000 are available for a LMS Research School which provides training for research students in Knowledge Exchange within the sphere of mathematics.
Information for Applicants
How to Apply:
Proposals should be no more than four sides of A4 and include:
- The case for Knowledge Exchange in the specified area of mathematics for the Research School (not more than one page):
- The aims of the Research School, its appropriateness to the LMS Research School in Knowledge Exchange and the likely level of demand for the Research School both nationally and internationally.
- An outline of the programme, including dates (or potential dates), brief descriptions of the Knowledge Exchange activities and lectures, together with a description of the tutorial arrangements and any other academic support.
- The names and short CVs (not more than one paragraph each) of the proposed speakers, tutorial assistants and organisers. Where a proposed speaker’s participation is not yet confirmed, reserves should also be listed. Organisers should highlight their experience in organising similar events.
- Careful consideration should be given to the gender balance. Preference may be given to Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange where there is a gender balance among the proposed speakers, tutorial assistants and organisers.
- Details of the administrative arrangements, including managing the application process, collection registrations and processes for dealing with visa and work-permit issues.
- A brief description of the proposed location and accommodation for speakers and participants.
- A draft budget, showing expected costs and proposed sources of funding (including charges made to participants). It is expected that the budget will include provision for need-based financial aid for research students to contribute towards their travel expenses and/or registration fee. The draft budget should include any travel, accommodation and subsistence for speakers, accommodation and subsistence for participants and cost of social event (not more than one page).
Further details about the Research School on Knowledge Exchange can be found in the Notes for Applicants.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their ideas for Research Schools on Knowledge Exchange with the Chair of the Early Career Research Committee, Professor Chris Parker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Proposals should be submitted to Research School Administrator (email@example.com).