The London Mathematical Society collection of mathematical books began in 1866 with an important benefaction comprising most of the mathematical library of the astronomer Sir John Lubbock. At the time, the Society had nowhere to house its library so it resided at UCL until 1870 when the Society moved to Albemarle Street and could house the library in a small room at the top of the house. In 1916, the Society’s library was transferred to the Science Museum and twelve years later, the library returned to UCL where it can still be found today.
The Society's Library contains a collection of:
- periodicals published by other mathematical societies which are received in exchange for the Society's publications;
- copies of books and journals published by the Society;
- items acquired by the Society as review copies or gifts.
The LMS Library is integrated with the Mathematics section of the University College London (UCL) Science Library. The Mathematics collection is housed on the third floor of the UCL Science Library, which is in the DMS Watson Building on the Main UCL Campus.
The LMS Library for Members
LMS members may register as a UCL Library user to access all the resources and materials in the UCL family of libraries and storerooms. These privileges include:
- Borrowing up to ten items at any one time
- Placing up to three concurrent reservations on material already on loan.
- Borrowing books by post without service charge – (costs for returning the books must be covered by the user).
- Access to MathSciNet and specific electronic journals from designated terminals in the Science Library
- Use of photocopying facilities at UCL libraries (charged at the same rate as UCL staff)
Rapid photocopying service by post - Photocopy Request and Copyright Declaration Form (link to follow)
- How to Register
- Full details of borrowing privileges for UCL library (PDF)
- The UCL Library Services online catalogue – Explore
|Assistance Desk||Membership||Self Service||Reading Rooms|
|Monday||09:30 - 20:45||09:30 - 19:00||Open from 09:00||Open from 08:45|
|Tuesday||09:30 - 20:45||09:30 - 19:00||24 hour opening||24 hour opening|
|Wednesday||09:30 - 20:45||09:30 - 19:00||24 hour opening||24 hour opening|
|Thursday||09:30 - 20:45||09:30 - 19:00||24 hour opening||24 hour opening|
|Friday||10:00 - 20:45||10.00 - 19:00||24 hour opening||24 hour opening|
|Saturday||11:00 - 17:45||11:00 - 17:45||Close at 20:45||Close at 21:00|
|Sunday||Closed||Closed||11:00 - 20:45||
11:00 - 21:00
(holders of UCL Library Cards only)
- During the weekends and evenings, the Library is open to lend books and handle loan-related queries, For all other queries, please contact a member of staff during office hours.
- During the year, the Library's opening hours may change. Please check the Science Library website before travelling.
- Seat availability in the reading rooms and computer rooms at the Science Library is available here.
UCL Library Services Contact Details:
Head of Membership, UCL Library Services
Loan and photocopy requests