- LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings
- LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting 2018
- Calls for Expressions to Host Future LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings
- Previous LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings.
LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings are annual events for Finalist Mathematics Undergraduates and Masters Students who are considering apply for a PhD after they have completed their current studies. The meetings feature speakers from a wide range of mathematical fields across the UK who discuss their current research and what opportunities are available to prospective PhD students. LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings are two-day meetings which usually take place in September each year.
For further information, please contact Elizabeth Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The 2018 LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting will be held in Warwick.
The meeting will feature a range of speakers from a wide range of mathematical fields across the UK who discussed their current research and what opportunities are available to students:
- C. Goldschmidt (Oxford) Probability
- D. Wilkinson (Newcastle) Statisitics
- F. Dragoni (Cardiff) Analysis
- F. Schulze (UCL) Analysis
- C. Clopath (Imperial) Neuroscience
- I. Graham (Bath) Applied Mathematics
- T. Brendle (Glasgow) Pure Mathematics
- C. Schönlieb (Cambridge) Applied Mathematics
- R. Newton (Reading) Pure Mathematics
- D. Kühn (Birimingham) Combinatorics
- N. Snaith (Bristol) Discrete Probability
- C. Venkataraman (St. Andrews) Mathematical Biology
- B. Leimkuhler (Edinburgh)
2019 LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting: Call for Expressions of Interest to Host are now open. The deadline is 1 June 2018.
Funding of up to £7,000 is available to cover fares and accommodation for up to 50 students, travel and accommodation for speakers and subsistence for participants including a social event.
Expressions of interest should be short (max. one A4 side in length) and include:
• Confirmation of support from the department
• Reasons for wanting to host the LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting
• A provisional list of speakers should be included. Speakers should be representative of the UK research landscape both in geographical terms and in scientific terms.
• Speakers from under-represented groups should be included and women speakers should account for at least 40% of the invited speakers.
• Confirmation that prospective organisers have read and understood the terms and conditions in the Guidelines for Organisers
• Willingness to attend an upcoming LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting to get an idea of the event. The next event will be held at Warwick in September 2018.
Expressions of Interest should be sent to Chris Parker (Chair of the Prospects in Mathematics Steering Group) (email@example.com)
All Expressions of Interest will be considered by the Prospects in Mathematics Steering Group, who will recommend a short-list to the LMS Early Career Research Committee.
Short-listed applicants will then be invited to submit a grant application to the LMS Early Career Research Committee for funding.
A list of previously supported LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings, can be found here
Before submitting: Organisers are welcome to discuss informally their ideas with the Chris Parker (Chair of the Prospects in Mathematics Steering Group) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Submitted by Elizabeth Fisher on 29 August, 2018 17:16