LMS Society Meeting: Mary Cartwright Lecture 2023
The LMS is delighted to announce the 2023 Mary Cartwright Lecture, with two guest speakers: Dan Margalit (Vanderbilt University) and Tara Brendle (University of Glasgow), the Mary Cartwright Lecturer for 2023.
The Mary Cartwright Lecture is an annual lecture organised by the Committee for Women and Diversity in Mathematics and forms part of the annual programme of Society Meetings. The event was established by the LMS in 2000 and is named after Dame Mary Lucy Cartwright, the first female mathematician FRS, the first woman to receive the Sylvester Medal, the first woman to receive the LMS De Morgan Prize and the first female President of the LMS. The aim is to celebrate the achievements of distinguished women mathematicians; previous speakers include previous LMS Presidents Dame Frances Kirwan and Caroline Series, and current President Ulrike Tillmann.
This is a free event and we welcome all who are interested to attend this event, with registration open both to LMS/ICMS Members and to non-members.
Please note that this was originally scheduled to take place in November 2022 but was postponed. Previous registrations are still valid and if you have any queries, please email email@example.com.
Programme (all times BST)
- 13:00: Doors open
- 14:00: Opening of the meeting and Society Business (Sara Lombardo, Committee for Women and Diversity in Mathematics Chair).
- 14:20: Sara Lombardo, will give some background on Mary Cartwright and introduce the first speaker.
- 14:30: First speaker - Dan Margalit (Vanderbilt University); Reconstruction problems in mathematics: from Euclid to Ivanov)
- 15:30: Tea/coffee break
- 15:55: Introduction of the second speaker
- 16:00: Second speaker - Tara Brendle (University of Glasgow); Ivanov's metaconjecture: encoding symmetries of surfaces)
- 17:00: Drinks reception
- 18:30: End of the meeting
The building is fully accessible with lifts and step-free access to all ICMS spaces.
For further details on accessibility, please click here.
- To attend in person, please complete the registration form here. Registration will close no later than 12:00 on Monday 16 October for this event.
- To attend remotely via Zoom, please complete the registration form here. Registration will close no later than 17:00 on Thursday 19 October You will receive the link to the meeting upon registration, as well as an automated reminder email sent closer to the time.
- Grants are available to those who need help with caring costs to attend the event. For further details and information on applying, visit the LMS website.
- If you have any queries on any of the above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org