The LMS is a partner of the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships scheme, which is administered by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. The Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships are for those who are commencing their secondary mathematics initial teacher training which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Maths Scholars Community
Over the years that the scheme has been running, a thriving social media community has developed on Twitter and Facebook, and the scheme is now on Instagram and LinkedIn.
Membership of the Maths Scholars community gives you:
- Access to superb professional resources with two years free membership of professional bodies
- Membership of a like minded and passionate community of Maths enthusiasts
- Support, inspiration and new ideas
- Recognition of your potential and will boost your confidence
- An improved CV that will set you apart from the crowd
- £28K tax-free bursary during your initial teacher training (ITT) year
- Followed by three early-career payments of £2,000 each (or £3,000 each if teaching in specified areas of England) in your second, third and fourth year of teaching, providing you have taught in a state-funded school in England since completing your teacher training course
- Access to CPD events arranged and run by specialists in maths education
Maths Scholars receive the following benefits from the LMS:
- Complimentary membership of the LMS during your two teacher training years, followed by the option to continue Membership at the Ordinary Membership rate.
- Use of University College London library where the LMS collection is housed.
- Free bi-monthly LMS Newsletters
- Members eUpdates.
- Free online subscriptions to the Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society, Journal of the London Mathematical Society and Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society.
- Free online subscription to Nonlinearity (published jointly with the Institute of Physics).
- Members' discount on other selected LMS publications; 25% discount on the LMS Lecture Note Series , 25% discount on the LMS Student Texts.
- Discounted membership of the European Mathematical Society, when joining via the LMS, and an option to subscribe to the Journal of the European Mathematical Society,
- Discounted membership of any of our 23 Reciprocal Society Partners.*
- Opportunity to apply for LMS education grants
- Use of the Veblunsky Members' room at De Morgan House in Russell Square, with access to free wi-fi for laptops, and also access to a small library of journals and other mathematical publications, and historical mathematics collections
- Opportunities to attend events and lectures hosted by the Society
- Membership of vibrant mathematical community and associated networking opportunities
- The opportunity to input thinking on educational issues to the education committee
Read more about the scheme on the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship Scheme website.