In 1986 the Council of the London Mathematical Society, in consultation with Officers of the New Zealand Mathematical Society, instituted a Lectureship to New Zealand. The Lectureship is named after the late Professor H. G. Forder, formerly of the University of Auckland, and a benefactor of the London Mathematical Society.
The Forder Lectureship normally occurs every two years (in even-numbered years) when a mathematician from the UK, who is a member of the London Mathematical Society and normally resident in the United Kingdom, is invited by both Societies to give lectures at most universities in New Zealand over a period of four weeks.
Forder lecturers are chosen for their eminent contribution as a research mathematician and who can also speak effectively at a more popular level.
Forder Lecturer 2018
The Forder Lecturer was Professor Valerie Isham who will visit New Zealand in 2018.
Previous holders of the Forder Lectureship have included:
|1987||Christopher Zeeman||2005||Martin Bridson|
|1989||Michael Atiyah||2008||Peter Cameron|
|1991||Peter Whittle||2010||Ben Green|
|1993||Roger Penrose||2012||Geoffrey Grimmett|
|1995||Elmer Rees||2015||Endre Suli|
|1997||Ian Stewart||2016||Julia Gog|
|1999||Michael Berry||2018||Valerie Isham|
|2001||Tom Körner||2020||Julia Wolf|
In 2009, the London Mathematical Society and New Zealand Mathematical Society agreed to set up a new lectureship which is named after Professor A. Aitken, one of New Zealand’s great mathematicians.
The Aitken Lectureship occurs every two years (in odd-numbered years) when a mathematician from New Zealand is invited by both Societies to give lectures at different universities around the UK over a period of several weeks.
Aitken Lecturer 2019
Professor Bakh Khoussainov (Auckland) will be the fifth holder of the Aitken Lectureship. He will visit the UK in June-July 2019 and will give the Aitken Lecture at the General Meeting of the Society on 28 June 2019. He will give lectures at departments around the UK as follows:
- Oxford (26 June), Automata and algebraic structures. Local organiser: Pavel Semukhin
- LMS General Meeting & Aitken Lecture, Mary Ward House, London (28 June), Semigroups, groups, algebras, and their finitely presented expansions.
- Durham (3 July), Algorithmically random structures.
- St. Andrews (8 July), Semigroups, groups, algebras, and their finitely presented expansions. Local organiser: Nik Ruskuc
- Liverpool (11 July), Games played on finite graphs. Local organiser: Frank Wolter
- Manchester (12 July), Open questions on automatic structures. Local organiser: Tuomas Sahlsten
- Swansea (15-16 July, date tbc) Semigroups, groups, algebras, and their finitely presented expansions. Local organiser: John Tucker
- London Logic Colloquium at Birkbeck (17 July). Games played on finite graphs. Local organiser: Michael Zakharyaschev
For further details on how to attend these lectures, please click the links or contact the named local organiser at each venue.
Previous holders of the Aitken Lectureship have included:
Submitted by Elizabeth Fisher on 16 May, 2019 09:49