In 1986 the Council of the London Mathematical Society, in consultation with Officers of the New Zealand Mathematical Society, instituted a Lectureship to New Zealand. The Lectureship is named after the late Professor H. G. Forder, formerly of the University of Auckland, and a benefactor of the London Mathematical Society.
The Forder Lectureship normally occurs every two years (in odd-numbered years) when a mathematician from the UK, who is a member of the London Mathematical Society and normally resident in the United Kingdom, is invited by both Societies to give lectures at most universities in New Zealand over a period of four weeks.
Forder lecturers are chosen for their eminent contribution as a research mathematician and who can also speak effectively at a more popular level.
Forder Lecturer 2020
The Forder Lecturer was Professor Julia Wolf who visited New Zealand in 2020.
Previous holders of the Forder Lectureship have included:
|1987||Christopher Zeeman||2005||Martin Bridson|
|1989||Michael Atiyah||2008||Peter Cameron|
|1991||Peter Whittle||2010||Ben Green|
|1993||Roger Penrose||2012||Geoffrey Grimmett|
|1995||Elmer Rees||2015||Endre Suli|
|1997||Ian Stewart||2016||Julia Gog|
|1999||Michael Berry||2018||Valerie Isham|
|2001||Tom Körner||2020||Julia Wolf|
In 2009, the London Mathematical Society and New Zealand Mathematical Society agreed to set up a new lectureship which is named after Professor A. Aitken, one of New Zealand’s great mathematicians.
The Aitken Lectureship occurs every two years (in even-numbered years) when a mathematician from New Zealand is invited by both Societies to give lectures at different universities around the UK over a period of several weeks.
Aitken Lecturer 2022
Professor Lisa Orloff Clark (Victoria University of Wellington) is the sixth holder of the Aitken Lectureship. She will visit the UK from 11 June - 2 July 2022 and give the Aitken Lecture at the General Meeting of the Society on 1 July 2022. She will also give lectures at the following departments around the UK:
- Queen’s University Belfast – 14 June - If you would like to attend, please contact the local organiser: Martin Mathieu (email@example.com).
- CANCELLED: Glasgow University – 17 June - With regret, this event has had to be cancelled. If you have any queries, please contact the local organiser: Xin Li (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- CANCELLED: Heriot-Watt University – 20 June - With regret, this event has had to be cancelled. If you have any queries, please contact the local organiser: Mark Lawson (M.V.Lawson@hw.ac.uk).
- Durham University – 22 June - If you would like to attend, please contact the local organiser: Jack Shotton (email@example.com)
- Aberystwyth University – 24 June - If you would like to attend, please contact the local organisers: Rolf Gohm (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Gwion Evans (email@example.com).
- London – 1 July to give the Aitken Lecture at the LMS General Meeting. – if you would like to attend, please register here.
Travel/Caring Grants to attend the Aitken Lectures.
Travel/Caring grants of up to £50 to support attending the Aitken Lectures at the above universities are available to mathematicians who are based at neighbouring universities to those universities and would require financial support.
If you require support, please complete the application form as soon as you can and at least 3 working days before the Aitken Lecture you wish to attend. Please note that there are limited funds available and so grants may be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous holders of the Aitken Lectureship have included: