- LMS Invited Lectures Series
- Invited Lecture Series 2023
- Call for Proposals for Invited Lecture Series 2024 - now open; deadline: 15 May 2023
- Previous Invited Lecturers
The Invited Lecturers Series aim to bring a distinguished overseas mathematician to the United Kingdom to present a small course of about ten lectures spread over a week. Each course of Invited Lectures is on a major field of current mathematical research, and is instructional in nature, being directed both at graduate students beginning research and at established mathematicians who wish to learn about a field outside their own research specialism.
Guidelines for the Invited Lectureship series
Prof. Filippo Santambrogio, Université Lyon 1,
Optimal transport and its applications
Organisers: Professor John Parker and Dr Alpar Meszaros (Durham University)
Accompanying Lectures by:
1) David Bourne (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK)
2) Sara Farinelli (Lagrange Centre, Paris, France)
3) Hugo Lavenant (Bocconi University, Milan, Italy)
4) Emanuela Radici (University of L’Aquila, Italy)
5) Matthew Thorpe (University of Manchester, UK).
Further details, including how to register will be available in due course.
Any member and their department who would like to suggest a topic and lecturer and be prepared to organise the meeting at their own institution or a suitable conference centre can submit a proposal.
The deadline to receive nominations will be 15 May 2023. A decision will be made by the Society Lectures and Meetings Committee in June/July 2023 and the Invited Lecturer 2024 will be announced in the Newsletter later in 2023.
Please note that from 2024 onwards, the Invited Lecture Series will be held biennially in even-numbered years. The Call for Nominations for the Invited Lecture Series 2026 will open in 2024 and the deadline will be 1 February 2025.
Proposers are invited to suggest a topic and Lecturer for the meeting, which they should be prepared to organise at their own institution or a suitable conference centre.
The format of annual Invited Lectures series is:
- meetings at which a single speaker gives a course of about ten expository lectures, examining some subject in depth;
- held over a five day period (Monday to Friday) during a University vacation;
- the meetings are residential and open to all interested.
- Funding of up £6,000 is given to the host department to cover the Invited Lecturer's travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses (with a further £1,000 available to cover caring costs, where required) and to support attendance at the lectures.
- the Invited Lecturer, including a short CV
- the supporting lecturers; organisers should ensure that there is a good gender balance amongst the supporting lecturers.
- proposed topics
- the scientific programme
- an outline budget
List of previous Invited Lecturers
Enquiries about the Invited Lectures should be directed to the Chair of the Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any queries should be sent to; email@example.com