- LMS Invited Lectures Series
- Invited Lecture Series 2021; postponed to 2022
- Call for Nominations for Invited Lecture Series 2023 - now closed
- Previous Invited Lecturers
The Invited Lecturers Series aim to bring a distinguished overseas mathematician to the United Kingdom to present a small course of about ten lectures spread over a week. Each course of Invited Lectures is on a major field of current mathematical research, and is instructional in nature, being directed both at graduate students beginning research and at established mathematicians who wish to learn about a field outside their own research specialism.
Please note that from 2023 onwards, the Invited Lecture Series will be held biennially in odd-numbered years.
Olga Kharlampovich (CUNY Graduate Center and Hunter College)
Equations in Groups and Complexity
Organisers: Alina Vdovina, Sam Mutter (Newcastle University)
In addition to the Invited Lecture Series, given by Professor Olga Kharlampovich (CUNY Graduate Center and Hunter College), there will be a conference, which will bring together experts from different fields to discuss deep and sometimes unexpected connections between geometric groups theory, graphs and theoretical computer science and feature the following speakers:
- Martin Bridson,
- Montserrat Casals-Ruiz,
- Laura Ciobanu,
- Riikka Kangaslampi,
- Ilya Kazachkov,
- Alexei Myasnikov,
- Rizos Sklinos.
Further details, including how to register are available here: https://sites.google.com/view/nclcomplexity
Please note that the LMS Invited Lecture Series, which would normally take place in 2022, has already taken place from 28 February - 4 March 2022 and details of that event can be found under the List of previous Invited Lecturers
Any member who would like to suggest a topic and lecturer and be prepared to organise the meeting at their own institution or a suitable conference centre can submit a proposal.
The deadline to receive nominations was 28 February 2022. The Invited Lecturer 2023 will be announced in the Newsletter later in 2022.
The Call for Nominations for the Invited Lecture Series 2025 will open in 2023 and the deadline will be 1 February 2024.
Proposers are invited to suggest a topic and Lecturer for the meeting, which they should be prepared to organise at their own institution or a suitable conference centre.
The format of annual Invited Lectures series is:
- meetings at which a single speaker gives a course of about ten expository lectures, examining some subject in depth;
- held over a five day period (Monday to Friday) during a University vacation;
- the meetings are residential and open to all interested.
- Funding of up £6,000 is given to the host department to cover the Invited Lecturer's travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses (with a further £1,000 available to cover caring costs, where required) and to support attendance at the lectures.
- the Invited Lecturer, including a short CV
- the supporting lecturers; organisers should ensure that there is a good gender balance amongst the supporting lecturers.
- proposed topics
- the scientific programme
- an outline budget
Enquiries about the Invited Lectures should be directed to the Chair of the Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any queries should be sent to; email@example.com