- LMS Hardy Lectureship
- Hardy Lectureship Tour 2023
- Call for Nominations for Hardy Lectureship 2025; now open
- Guidelines on the Hardy Lectureships
- Previous Hardy Lectures
The LMS Hardy Lecturer visits the UK for a period of about two weeks, and gives the Hardy Lecture at a Society meeting, normally held in London in July. The LMS Hardy Lecturer also gives at least six other lectures, on different topics, at other venues in the UK; the schedule is decided by the LMS Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee in consultation with the LMS Hardy Lecturer, and is designed to allow as many UK mathematicians as possible to benefit from the LMS Hardy Lecturer's presence in the UK.
The Society was pleased that Professor Eva Miranda (UPC, Barcelona) visited the UK as the most recent Hardy Lecturer. She visited the UK in May, June, July and September 2023 and gave the Hardy Lecture at the General Meeting of the Society on 30 June 2023. She also gave lectures at the following departments around the UK:
- University of Cambridge, Cambridge (30 May)
- The London Institute for Mathematical Sciences at the Royal Institution, London (1 June)
- University of Birmingham, Birmingham (26 June)
- University of Warwick, Coventry (28 June)
- Mary Ward House, London (30 June)
- University of Oxford, Oxford (4 July)
- Loughborough University, Loughborough (6 July)
- University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh (19 September)
- University of Glasgow, Glasgow (21 September)
Travel/Caring Grants to attend the Hardy Lectures.
Travel/Caring grants of up to £50 to support attending the Hardy Lectures, which are at universities on the Hardy Lecture Tour, were available to mathematicians who are based at neighbouring universities to those universities and would require financial support.
For future Hardy Lecture Tours, if you require support, please complete the application form as soon as you can and at least 3 working days before the Hardy Lecture you wish to attend. Please note that there are limited funds available and so grants may be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to receive nominations will be 31 January 2024.
Criteria for nominations include:
- The Nominee is not normally resident in the United Kingdom
- The Nominee has not previously been awarded the Lectureship
- The Lectureship is not restricted to mathematicians working in any specific area of mathematics.
The Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee will also consider:
- the achievements of the Nominee, including work in, influence on, and general service to mathematics; lecturing gifts; and breadth of mathematical interests;
- the overall benefit the UK mathematical community might derive from the visit;
- the possibility of bringing to the UK a mathematician who might otherwise visit rarely or never.
Nominations should include:
- A cover letter
- A short CV of the nominee
Nominations should be sent to the Chair of the Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee (email@example.com).
For general enquiries about the Hardy Lectures, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org