- LMS Hardy Lectureship
- Call for Nominations for Hardy Lectureship 2020
- Guidelines on the Hardy Lectureships
- Hardy Lectureship Tour 2018: Lauren Williams
- Previous Hardy Lectures
The LMS Hardy Lectureship is named after G.H. Hardy, former President of the Society and De Morgan Medallist. Originally awarded to a distinguished overseas mathematician in even numbered years, the cycle has moved to odd-numbered years due to COVID-19.
The LMS Hardy Lecturer visits the UK for a period of about two weeks, and gives the Hardy Lecture at a Society meeting, normally held in London in July. The LMS Hardy Lecturer also gives at least six other lectures, on different topics, at other venues in the UK; the schedule is decided by the LMS Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee in consultation with the LMS Hardy Lecturer, and is designed to allow as many UK mathematicians as possible to benefit from the LMS Hardy Lecturer's presence in the UK.
The London Mathematical Society is pleased to announce the LMS Hardy Fellow 2020 is Peter Sarnak (Princeton), who gave the Hardy Lecture 2020 at the virtual General Meeting on June 26, 2020. Due to the circumstances presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Society is planning to arrange his visit to the UK when it is safe to do so.
Nominations for the Hardy Lectureship Tour in 2020 are CLOSED. The deadline to receive nominations was 31 January 2019.
Criteria for nominations include:
- The Nominee is not normally resident in the United Kingdom
- The Nominee has not previously been awarded the Lectureship
- The Lectureship is not restricted to mathematicians working in any specific area of mathematics.
The Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee will also consider:
- the achievements of the Nominee, including work in, influence on, and general service to mathematics; lecturing gifts; and breadth of mathematical interests;
- the overall benefit the UK mathematical community might derive from the visit;
- the possibility of bringing to the UK a mathematician who might otherwise visit rarely or never.
Nominations should include:
- A cover letter
- A short CV of the nominee
Nominations should be sent to the Chair of the Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Society was pleased to host Professor Lauren Williams (UC Berkley) as the LMS Hardy Lecturer for 2018.
Professor Williams undertook a lecture tour of the UK in July, which started with the Hardy Lecture at the Society Meeting on Friday 29 June in London.
During the Hardy Lecture Tour, Lauren Williams gave seven lectures while she visited:
- Oxford (2 July),
- Cambridge (3-4 July)
- Kent (5 July)
- Edinburgh (9 July)
- Leeds (10 July)
- Birmingham (11 July)
For general enquiries about the Hardy Lectures, please contact Tammy Tran or Elizabeth Fisher (email@example.com).