- LMS Hardy Lectureship
- Call for Nominations for Hardy Lectureship 2023; now closed
- Guidelines on the Hardy Lectureships
- Hardy Lectureship Tour: Peter Sarnak
- Previous Hardy Lectures
The LMS Hardy Lectureship is named after G.H. Hardy, former President of the Society and De Morgan Medallist. Originally awarded to a distinguished overseas mathematician in even numbered years, the cycle has moved to odd-numbered years due to COVID-19.
The LMS Hardy Lecturer visits the UK for a period of about two weeks, and gives the Hardy Lecture at a Society meeting, normally held in London in July. The LMS Hardy Lecturer also gives at least six other lectures, on different topics, at other venues in the UK; the schedule is decided by the LMS Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee in consultation with the LMS Hardy Lecturer, and is designed to allow as many UK mathematicians as possible to benefit from the LMS Hardy Lecturer's presence in the UK.
The Call for Nominations for the Hardy Lectureship Tour in 2023 is now closed. The deadline to receive nominations was 28 February 2022.
The Call for Nominations for the Hardy Lectureship Tour in 2025 will open in 2023. The deadline to receive nominations will be 31 January 2024.
Criteria for nominations include:
- The Nominee is not normally resident in the United Kingdom
- The Nominee has not previously been awarded the Lectureship
- The Lectureship is not restricted to mathematicians working in any specific area of mathematics.
The Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee will also consider:
- the achievements of the Nominee, including work in, influence on, and general service to mathematics; lecturing gifts; and breadth of mathematical interests;
- the overall benefit the UK mathematical community might derive from the visit;
- the possibility of bringing to the UK a mathematician who might otherwise visit rarely or never.
Nominations should include:
- A cover letter
- A short CV of the nominee
Nominations should be sent to the Chair of the Society, Lectures and Meetings Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Society is pleased to announce that Professor Peter Sarnak (Princeton) is the current Hardy Lecturer. Professor Sarnak gave the Hardy Lecture 2020 at the virtual General Meeting on June 26, 2020. Due to the circumstances presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Society is planning to arrange his visit to the UK when it is safe to do so.
For general enquiries about the Hardy Lectures, please contact Elizabeth Fisher (email@example.com).