The Research Policy Committee advises Council on any developments in public policy that affect mathematics research. This includes the Funding Councils, the Research Councils and Government.
Terms of Reference
1. Developing the Society’s policies relating to mathematics research;
2. Monitoring developments affecting the health of mathematics research;
3. Leading on activities and submissions to inform and influence public policy in respect of mathematics research, and
4. Working with CMS and other bodies on related matters.
The full terms of reference can be downloaded here.
Vice-President (I. Gordon, Chair), P. Ashwin, K. Brown, S. Gutierrez, J. van den Heuvel (HoDoMS), H. Krieger, T. Liverpool, S. Howison and O. Jensen.
Dates of Meetings
The committee meets twice annually, once in April/May and once in October.
The committee will issue policy and position statements, which will be made available on the policy section of the website.
The following papers have been produced to inform the International Review of Mathematics 2010.
- UK Mathematical Sciences – Research and Teaching in Symbiosis (PDF)
A position paper showing the current context of UK mathematical sciences
- UK government funding for mathematical sciences research (PDF)
A briefing paper outlining the main UK sources of funding for mathematical sciences research
- Doctoral Training in Mathematics in the UK (PDF)
A position paper on the nature of UK doctoral training in mathematical sciences
- EPSRC Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (Maths Programme)
- HEFCE Higher Education Funding Council for England
- HEFCE Research Excellence Framework